Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Monthly Blog Post: Anecdotes and Stats-edotes

In some fields, knowledge, techniques, and expertise are at most passed down and spread largely by word of mouth. Most of these three knowledge (which I will now abbreviate to KTE because it's a pain to type out the whole thing) often have no basis in their establishment except for gut feeling and personal experience, both of which allowed a large space for bias from those who tout their KTE's.

I came across that issue myself in my research venture for my senior project. Many of the advice I had received, whether from mentorship or from advice articles of music retailing magazines, were never really tested in their validity. For a long time, I thought that was the most I could work with.

However, I fortunately began to reach out in my research and discovered the field of retailing research, where hypothesis regarding aspects of retails, like importance of service, branding, and differentiation, are actually tested with the scientific method and peer-reviewed by academic retail researchers. I would've never believed this field to have existed if not for the experience I gained from my senior project, and I extend the lesson I've learned in doing proper research to find a goldmine for your topic that you initially thought had never existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment