Friday, April 25, 2014

Blog 19: Independent Component 2


LITERAL

I, Regina Ongowarsito, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.



My sources are my mentorship and the Coursera.org course I'm currently taking, "Developing Innovative Ideas for New Companies: The First Step in Entrepreneurship".

Independent Component Log #2 is on the side of my blog.

To fulfill my Independent Component #2 requirements, I took an entrepreneur class online and did extra mentorship in addition to the 50 hours required for mentorship. I've also been taking music classes in a music store, where I was able to experience the store from the customers' point of view.

INTERPRETIVE 


Defend your work and explain how the significant parts of your component and how it demonstrates 30 hours of work.   Provide evidence (photos, transcript, art work, videos, etc) of the 30 hours of work.  


I created blog posts chronicling my experience in the Coursera class. Each post contains screenshots of the videos I have to watch and the quizzes I took. Here are links leading to them:

The following are PDFs my teacher shared with me in some of our lessons. They are for me to practice bass.

I keep notes on my mentorship experiences. It used to be that I'd write them on an actual notebook, then I'd scan them up, but I decided to change it some time ago to this document. It felt easier to me.

APPLIED

How did the component help you answer your EQ? Please include specific examples to illustrate how it helped

The entrepreneur class taught me to see businesses in general from the eyes of an entrepreneur. What I learned from this class expanded upon the knowledge that I gained from my research about businesses and furthered it.

From the class, I learned various business topics like segmenting markets, the entrepreneurial mindset and behavior, the process involved in the design of a product, and the importance and complexity behind addressing consumers' needs when developing a venture. These are all general entrepreneurial lessons that are more-oriented to company developments, but I find it very easy to apply them into a small business context. For example, Professor Green of the class talked about using your knowledge of consumers' needs to your advantage. It made me think about specialty music shops, and how their success lies on addressing a specific consumer need that not many else provide.

As for my mentorship in The Music Store, it was an opportunity for me to learn first hand of what goes into the operations of a music store. Over my long tenure there, I gradually got the chance to address customers myself, to help with closing every night, and to help with sales of items.

From my music lessons in the store, I became aware of what customers want from a music store, as I was able to receive an experience to be a customer myself. It helped shape the ideas I had of the best way to profit from a music store, but in a way that will also benefit the customers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment