Friday, January 31, 2014

Monthly Post: January - The Fight

With more research needed to be done, I had decided in the past month to focus more on music store operations aspects other than instrument repairs. What happened was rather a significant discovery into the unsaid rivalry between large chain music stores, such as Guitar Center and Sam Ash, and independent music stores.

To be frank, I was already aware of this when I first even considered doing music store operations as my topic. After all, I'm a frequent goer for both; I go to Sam Ash for the cheaper products, and I go to independent music stores for the people. What I never really knew was the history of which this quiet rivalry that traces back to 1996, and also the resurgence of independent stores and their forced yet successful adaptation to current times. Many articles that I've found on independent stores flaunt the fact that they are often far more personal and personable than large chain stores.

It's been crossing my mind that I interview different independent stores, more than the required 3, as to get more information to this whole situation. This conflict isn't really one that is commonly covered in newspapers or magazines. If I really want my presentation to be great, I have to be my own journalist to get my sources from.

No comments:

Post a Comment